Monday, January 25, 2010

Back to School



Much like Adam Sandler in the academy-awarding film "Billy Madison" (I think it won the Oscar for cinematography) Karl returned to school today. Albeit, under slightly different circumstances. Because Karl apparently hasn't endured enough pain and suffering over the past few months, he has decided to continue the completion of his student teaching. To do this he must...gasp...spend eight hour a day with junior highers teaching gym class.



I mean seriously, how scary are these kids. I get the shivers...

In all seriousness, this is a pretty substantial undertaking for Karl so please be in prayer that he will have the strength to make it through the day.

Generally speaking, I don't want to speak for my entire family but just pray for a "resurgence of energy". Cancer can be such a difficult thing for an entire family because its just draining. OBVIOUSLY it's hard for Karl but I know its been hard on my family dealing with all the insurance and medical "issues" and for me its been hard being 1,000 miles away. To put it very plainly, it's just exhausting. In addition, February 1st is the 12 year anniversary of my dad's passing. I was talking to my mom a few days ago and we both agreed that this time of the year is just kinda difficult.

I've been thinking alot over the last few weeks about the numerous ways that cancer, well...basically...sucks. I think one of the biggest things that I just keep coming back to is how cancer never takes a day off. Pretty much every other "thing" in life, takes a siesta or vacation. Cancer just "stays". Every so often when I'm feeling particularly discouraged I watch the speech below from former NC State basketball coach Jim Valvano. I thought about what scripture I should add at the bottom of this particular entry but this just seems more appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXlkqkFH6s

It's long but I recommend watching all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment